Good budgeting is the key to making your dream kitchen a reality. Make a list of all new room features, then prioritize them for potential trade-offs. We recommend allocating budget dollars by category as a percent of the total budget, knowing that a full-featured, large-scale room will cost more than a small-scale room.
Careful planning and allocation of the budget prevents overspending and wasting money; however, good planning and careful research could also provide opportunities in which money is saved.
Your Medallion dealer will give you a written summary of the costs for your new cabinetry. Do expect the same from any contractors you hire to work in your home.
The amount you spend on a new kitchen varies based on needs, style and age of the home and selections made. In general, plan to spend about the same on a new kitchen as you would on a new car, more or less as your family finances permit.
Keep your priorities front and center. Appliances, plumbing fixtures and decorative items such as door handles all come in a broad range of prices.
1. Set your priority items and research anticipated expense.
2. To save money and time, don't move plumbing, mechanical systems or walls unless it will greatly improve the space.
3. Avoid changing your mind once products are ordered.
4. Have a clear set of specifications before comparison shopping; be sure to compare exactly the same commodities.
5. Set aside contingency money; perhaps 10-20% of the project.